Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Calm in the Storm



A year ago today, a dear friend, and sister in Christ, Cyndi Babecka, lost her battle to cancer. My heartbreak was selfish compared to the grace and acceptance of God's will accepted by Cyndi, her gentle husband Bob, and 6 beautiful children. Cyndi was deeply rooted in faith, and appeared to have an exceptional relationship with our Lord, strengthened by a true devotion to our Lady, His mother Mary.



How can anyone truly know of another person's faith, devotions, or personal relationship with the Lord? The obvious answer is, you really can't. However, how we live our lives is the silent evangelization of our beliefs, whether rooted in the Gospels, or not. This is not to say that we go around judging how Christ-like people are by their every action, but Cyndi's presence to me just felt like a calm in the storm. Cyndi was surrounded by 6 children, something that would bring out the roaring lion in me, and she spoke in a calm, thoughtful, and pleasant tone - reminding me truly of the grace and wisdom of our gentle Mother, Mary.



We all are surrounded by storm, some more than others, at different times in our life. And yet, with faith we can find the calm. While at times, there is no other option than to reach out our hands and say, "Lord, save me", as Peter did when he realized he could not walk on water alone. Cyndi has taught me, to the best of our abilities to have faith, but most of all to "live" that faith, and above all - reach out our hands, our hearts, our very lives to Him that says, "Come to me..." and "do not be afraid..."

While Cyndi is praying for us now, in the eternal embrace, may she always remind me that there is never a storm so great that we cannot find the calm.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, but seems like, even now, she is s source of strength and peace for you. Many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, what a beautiful tribute to your friend Cyndi! Are her 6 children still young? Or have they reached adulthood? Either way the loss is great no matter the age of her children.

    I found your link from the May Giveaway from the Etsy Rosary Guild Team. Your rosaries are beautiful! I'm devoted to praying the rosary as well and have entered the blogging world a few months ago. I've been blessed with the many kind and encouraging women I've met. God Bless.
    www.rosarymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete